The only problems with v8.0 are:

From: Bill Squire {billsf} <billsf_at_cuba.calyx.nl>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2009 22:13:46 +0200
These 'bug' me:

There are always going to be the bugs we never see, but the following three
seem to be real. (Note I'm using yesterday's rpc/xdr.h to get the cddl stuff
to build which provides zfs.)

8.0 is ready. The '/boot/loader' has been a long time problem. If I'm the
only one that knows Forth (my first computer language) I probably can fix it.
However, a loader from v7 should do fine.

There appears to be a typo in one of the cddl 32bit Makefiles. It doesn't get
a certain header file into */obj/. That file is: '/usr/include/rpc/xdr.h'.

The other problem is an annoyance. I believe snd_uaudio is not expecting HID.
Plugging in the driver in with hardware attached causes instant (but harmless)
freezing and no dump. Tests are with the C-Media CM106 and CM108. They can be
had for as little as 5 Euros. They sound excellent through my Genelecs. If
you do electronics take out the descriptors for HID. Alternately the snd_hda
driver is a masterpiece. The old snd_es137x cards were the last of the great
'soundblasters' and sound excellent. (Forget the new cards.) While not every-
one is a 'practical audiophile' like me, I'm sure most have at least an extra
soundcard. I like USB because it puts the analogue circuitry away from the
digital. I can live with hda at last. :)

BillSF

I'm running an SMP amd64 K9 (quickly the name was realised) with 8GB RAM, a
typical developer system. Believe the BSD speed -- not the BIOS and adjust
to assure you are not over-clocking. Note an Athlon 3000MHz is an Opteron
2800MHz and AMD advises 2800MHzfor this part. A stack of dual 2800's makes
for a killer system. Professionally, I prefer multiple singles running in NUMA
mode. (Call it SMP for the kernel, but its more like clustered computers.)
I'll be standing by if I can verify any bug reports not mentioned. The worst
thing is bad hardware -- 100 buck motherboards in particular. Asus makes a
few good ones and the "M3A78 PRO" is a 'best value'. Otherwise spend 300
bucks for a real motherboard. I keep several previous builds just in case.
I'm over to v9.0 -- the easiest transition so far.

B.