Re: Reducing noise in dmesg output

From: <peterjeremy_at_acm.org>
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2009 20:08:47 +1000
On 2009-Sep-03 12:39:04 +1200, James Butler <sweetnavelorange_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>This seems like an important distinction - the information which needs
>to be available with dmesg and the information best shown to the user
>at startup are not necessarily the same.

Agreed.  And some rc.d scripts are also overly verbose - starting a
system with 150 virtual interfaces takes a significant amount of time
via a serial console.

> The hypothetical "average
>user" probably wouldn't care if there were *no* kernel messages shown
>on startup.

Whilst they mightn't care about the current probe/attach messages, it
is very reassuring for the kernel to show that it is actually doing
something.

> The Xubuntu box I'm writing this from shows only GRUB
>messages before the login prompt on tty1, and only service startup
>messages on tty8

Solaris is similar - leading to some nailchewing when rebooting after
a change: Does nothing being reported on the console for 2 minutes
mean that the kernel has gone off into limbo or it is just slowly
grinding through *something*?

Whilst SIGINFO helps once userland starts, I would not be comfortable
with a system that reported nothing between the boot loader and login
prompts.

--
Peter Jeremy