Re: vesa(4) and amd64

From: b. f. <bf1783_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 20:03:26 +0000
After the recent x86emu/vesa/dpms commits, I'm now able to use some
more graphics modes with syscons on amd64. That's good.  Not so good
is the fact that my HP Pavilion desktop running 9-CURRENT i386 r197085
with

devic sc
options SC_PIXEL_MODE
device vga
options VGA_WIDTH90

in the kernel and agp, dpms, x86emu, and vesa loaded as kernel modules
can no longer use the 132x60 mode that had been my default syscons
mode, and now yields a blank screen.  Even worse is the fact that my
Toshiba laptop, with nearly the same configuration, locks up with a
screen full of zeroes every time I load the new vesa kernel module,
when formerly it had no such problem.  Other than simplifying the
organization of the code, is there any advantage to be gained from
forcing those platforms that are capable of native vesa to use x86emu?
 Because up to this point there are serious disadvantages to doing so.

Regards,
                b.