Re: Source level upgrade from 4.9 to CURRENT..

From: Andrew Reilly <areilly_at_bigpond.net.au>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 08:53:19 +1000
On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 02:51:02PM +0200, Mel Flynn wrote:
> On Wednesday 16 September 2009 08:56:25 Mark Linimon wrote:
> > You've gotten some good advice about the steps necessary, but not the
> > advice that you'll spend a lot less time if you do a new install from
> > scratch.
>
> Except OP mentions install from CD is broken for his system and I doubt 4.x
> sysinstall will do 7.x new ftp install satisfactory.

That's not going to leave him in a very comfortable place when
he discovers that his root partition is too small for the
7-stable root install, part-way through the install...

For this kind of upgrade, you just have to have a fallback
strategy, because the chances of something not going quite right
are high.  Fixing the CD install issues has to be the first port
of call.  (I don't expect that any machine that has 4.9 on it
will be able to boot from USB: my old boxes can't.)

Cheers

--
Andrew