Re: Source level upgrade from 4.9 to CURRENT..

From: Andrew Reilly <areilly_at_bigpond.net.au>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 10:11:51 +1000
On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 04:31:14PM -0700, Doug Barton wrote:
> There are also the issues of CPU horesepower and quantity of RAM that
> are potential problems on hardware that is at minimum 6 years old.
> Everything about this project shouts DANGER WILL ROBINSON!!! to me.

Oh, I don't know.  I'm running 7-STABLE (February vintage: it's
too slow to rebuild very often) on an old P-III/500 box with
512M of RAM.  Works beautifully for what I'm asking of it (not
much).  That box probably started with something of the 3- or
4- vintage and upgraded continuously in place.  I do remember
giving it a new disk drive when I did the step to UFS2, though.

And I know that I can boot/fixit from CD.

Cheers,

--
Andrew