misc/compat6x port no longer sufficient for DRI under head?

From: David Wolfskill <david_at_catwhisker.org>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 06:49:24 -0700
I've been in the practice of running multiple bootable slices on my
laptop, arranged such that each slice has its own / and /usr, but other
chunks of disk (such as /usr/local, /var, home directories, and swap
space) are shared.  (Naturally, the machine is in only one environment
at a time.)

With that setup, then, I have been tracking RELENG_6 (now stable/6),
RELENG_7 (now stable/7), and HEAD (now head) -- leaving one slice for
"messing around."  I have a local mirror of the FreeBSD CVS & SVN
repositories (to facilitate work while I'm on the train, for example),
and I have been tracking FreeBSD stable/6, stab\le/7, and head, as well
as updating ports, on a daily basis for quite a while.

As the laptop is "user-facing," I've tended to accumulate quite a few
installed ports; as updating some of those is rather time-consuming,
and I want to be able to actually use my laptop for more than merely
building software, I have taken to building the ports under the oldest
installed version of FreeBSD and installing the appropriate
misc/compatNx port(s) while running the more recent versions.

For the most part, this has worked pretty well, and has allowed me to
get a bit of an idea of what's in the pipeline for upcoming releases.

A few weeks ago, though, I found that when I tried to start Xorg while
running stable/7, the mouse & keyboard apparently locked up.  While I
had used hald(8) when Xorg was changed to defaul to requiring it, I had
given up on that as not worth the trouble, and changed xorg.conf so
hald(8) was no longer required.  I also changed /etc/rc.conf so neither
hald(8) nor dbus(8) was started.

More recently -- about a week ago -- a similar effect occured in head.
(Up to that point, Xorg ran fine in stable/6 and head, but not in
stable/7.)

This morning, I tried disabling DRI in xorg.conf -- and now Xorg runs OK
in stable/6, stable/7, and head.  (Well, perhaps not with the best
performance, but running at all is a great deal better than requiring a
power-cycle to reboot and requiring a reboot to function.)

It's quite possible that what I'm trying to do is sufficiently unususal
that it's not worth the effort to "fix" it.  That said, I'll be happy to
test changes that folks would care to suggest.

Peace,
david
--
David H. Wolfskill				david_at_catwhisker.org
Depriving a girl or boy of an opportunity for education is evil.