Re: misc/compat6x port no longer sufficient for DRI under head?

From: David Wolfskill <david_at_catwhisker.org>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 09:15:19 -0700
On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 08:32:09AM -0700, Freddie Cash wrote:
> Have you tried re-enabling hald and dbus and configuring X to use those?

No, I haven't.

One of the reasons I stopped trying to use hald(8) was that when I
booted head, hald went into a 100% CPU busy loop.  (Mind, this was with
hald built inder stable/6.)

I had been "circumventing" this during the time I was using hald by
logging in (via xdm), then sending the hald process a SIGSTOP.  (Note
that hald spawns child processes -- for various bits of hardware, IIRC
-- and the child processes were not the ones that went into the CPU busy
loops, nor were they affected by the SIGSTOP.  And the SIGSTOP did not
seem to affect other operations in the slightest.)  But still, when I
forgot to do it, the "make build world" under head took a while....  And
it made the laptop even hotter, which is Not A Good Thing.

I briefly tried building version-specific hald & dbus, but the resulting
complexification(!) was more than I could handle, so I abandoned the
approach as a bad job.  (IIRC, one of the issues was that I wasn't even
able to build dbus under head at that time.  And I wasn't willing to try
to create a separate /usr/local for each version of FreeBSD that I run.)

Peace,
david
--
David H. Wolfskill				david_at_catwhisker.org
Depriving a girl or boy of an opportunity for education is evil.