Re: misc/compat6x port no longer sufficient for DRI under head?

From: David Wolfskill <david_at_catwhisker.org>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 10:29:47 -0700
On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 07:02:42PM +0200, Gary Jennejohn wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Sep 2009 09:15:19 -0700
> David Wolfskill <david_at_catwhisker.org> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 08:32:09AM -0700, Freddie Cash wrote:
> > > Have you tried re-enabling hald and dbus and configuring X to use those?
> >
> > No, I haven't.
> The current hald behaves much better.  I saw the problem of 100% CPU
> usage a few months (weeks?) ago too, but now hald uses virtually no CPU.
>
> Of course, my hald was made with sources from head, so YMMV.

Indeed.  But I have a certain affinity for empiricism, so I tried it.

Mind, I had left hald & dbus installed, so they've been kept current
with the daily updates to ports -- though built under stable/6.

So, I booted head (which I still have configured to not start Xorg at
boot), enabled dbus & hald in /etc/rc.conf, ran rcorder(8) to determine
which should be started first (dbus), started dbus (which was
uneventful), hte started hald (which appeared to be uneventful).

I then tried running "top" -- only to find that the keyboard & mouse
were locked up.

This seems familiar, somehow....  :-{

(I tried connecting the serial port, but ddb wasn't active.  Ctl+Alt+Esc
didn't make it so, either.  Leaving the serial connection, I rebooted,
but after the login prompt on serial, I see:

vgapci0: Reserved 0x8000000 bytes for rid 0x10 type 3 at 0xe0000000

then the serial port is also unresponsive.  I can ping the laptop, but
attempting to ssh to it hangs; last messages issued after "ssh -xvvv" is

debug3: key_read: missing keytype
debug1: identity file /homes/dwolf/.ssh/id_dsa type 2

Looking at a similar successful ssh invocation, I'd expect to see
something like:

debug1: Remote protocol version 1.99, remote software version OpenSSH_3.5p1 FreeBSD-20030924

and not seeing it indicates that sshd is either not seeing the request
or isn't able to provide the response.)

Peace,
david
--
David H. Wolfskill				david_at_catwhisker.org
Depriving a girl or boy of an opportunity for education is evil.