Re: misc/compat6x port no longer sufficient for DRI under head?

From: Robert Noland <rnoland_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 13:20:13 -0500
On Thu, 2009-09-17 at 20:10 +0200, Mel Flynn wrote:
> On Thursday 17 September 2009 19:29:10 Robert Noland wrote:
> > On Thu, 2009-09-17 at 08:32 -0700, Freddie Cash wrote:

> > > Have you tried re-enabling hald and dbus and configuring X to use those?
> >
> > So, the DRI option has absolutely nothing to do with kbd/mouse.  I
> > expect that what you are actually seeing is a hard lockup, quite
> > possibly a gpu crash.
>
> If that's the case, having a root vty open before starting X and upon gpu
> crash, blind type (no cookies for typos!) shutdown -r NOW<enter> should result
> in some /var/log/messages entries at the very least and quite possible reboot,
> right?

Maybe... It really depends on exactly what state X has left things in
when it crashed/hung.  If X crashes and catches the signals, it should
try to restore the console to a usable state.  If it is a gpu crash then
X may still be functioning, but hung on a lock.  In this case, you can
generally ssh in or get serial console.  It is also possible for
something entirely more evil to occur, such that things get hung with
interrupts disabled which results in a case where nothing but the power
button will remedy it.  In any case, if X isn't able to cleanly exit and
call LeaveVT, then your console is likely hosed.

robert.

--
Robert Noland <rnoland_at_FreeBSD.org>
FreeBSD