Re: misc/compat6x port no longer sufficient for DRI under head?

From: David Wolfskill <david_at_catwhisker.org>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 12:48:22 -0700
On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 08:10:22PM +0200, Mel Flynn wrote:
> > So, the DRI option has absolutely nothing to do with kbd/mouse.  I
> > expect that what you are actually seeing is a hard lockup, quite
> > possibly a gpu crash.
>
> If that's the case, having a root vty open before starting X and upon gpu
> crash, blind type (no cookies for typos!) shutdown -r NOW<enter> should result
> in some /var/log/messages entries at the very least and quite possible reboot,
> right?

Now that it's lunch time, I had a chance to try an experiment:

* Connect serial to another system vai crossover cable.

* Boot head (slice 4, in my case) in to normal multi-user mode.
  Neither dbus nor hald is enable in /etc/rc.conf, and Xorg is not
  started automatically (unlike the way I have stable/6 configured,
  in that respect).

* On vty1 (I don't usually login to vty0, as I prefer to keep that for
  seeing logged messages or whatever), login as root.

* Mount all disk-resident file systems (vs. swap-backed /tmp, for
  example) other than /var as read-only.  This is to reduce the time for
  recovery later.

* From another system, "ssh -xvvv" -- partly as a record of what to
  expect when it works; partly to demonstrate that doing that does
  normally work.  Exit the connection.

* sh /usr/local/etc/rc.d/dbus forcestart; uptime
  Note system responses:
  Starting dbus.
  12:32PM  up 2 mins, 1 user, load averages: 0.26, 0.30, 0.14

* sh /usr/local/etc/rc.d/hald forcestart; uptime
  Note system responses:
  Starting hald.
  12:32PM  up 2 mins, 1 user, load averages: 0.22, 0.29, 0.14

  Also note that disk I/O light flickers quite a bit for about 5
  seconds.

* Type "uptime" at shell prompt.  Note lack of response: no echo; no
  output; no disk I/O.

* Re-try the "ssh -xvvv" from the other system.  Last couple of lines
  shown are:
  debug3: key_read: missing keytype
  debug1: identity file /homes/dwolf/.ssh/id_dsa type 2

  In the "successful" case, the above were followed by:

  debug1: Remote protocol version 2.0, remote software version OpenSSH_5.2p1 FreeBSD-20090522
  debug1: match: OpenSSH_5.2p1 FreeBSD-20090522 pat OpenSSH*

* Hit "Enter" on serial connection.  Note lack of response.

* On vty1 (where I last tried "uptime"), hit Enter a time or two, then
  type "halt -p" (blind, as there's no echo).  Note lack of response.

* Power-cycle & recover.

Peace,
david
--
David H. Wolfskill				david_at_catwhisker.org
Depriving a girl or boy of an opportunity for education is evil.