Re: misc/compat6x port no longer sufficient for DRI under head?

From: Sean C. Farley <scf_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 20:57:30 -0500 (CDT)
On Thu, 17 Sep 2009, Robert Noland wrote:

> On Thu, 2009-09-17 at 20:13 -0500, Sean C. Farley wrote:

*snip*

>> WITHOUT_HAL throughout ports, dbus running and the option I listed
>> above works well for me with stable/7 (r196739).
>
> Just to be clear... hald has a number of build time features and
> tweaks depending on current OS support, so I'm not really surprised
> that hald doesn't work well or correctly in David's case.
>
> hald has no interaction with drm though, other than if hald is running
> it will try to open drm and get the driver version.  hald certainly
> wouldn't have any impact of X functioning or not based on the DRI
> option.
>
> The evidence so far seems to be pointing to some issue with setting
> MTRR, though I'm not exactly certain how or what is failing.

I understand.  I did not necessarily consider hald to be culprit in
relation to the DRI option.

However, building ports without HAL may (or may not) be useful in the
situation where hald from 6.0 is being run on 7.0 and 8.0, especially
since hald has build-time specifics based upon the OS version.

Sean
--
scf_at_FreeBSD.org