RELENG_8 regression: cannot detect partitions

From: Ted Faber <faber_at_isi.edu>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 13:19:04 -0700
8.0 (RELENG_8, from last night) doesn't seem to find the FBSD partitions
on my PATA drive that boots FreeBSD 7-STABLE fine.  RELENG_8 finds the
drive and the BIOS partition (slice).  It fails on the same hardware
that boots 7.2-STABLE just fine.  It drops me into the menu to manually
configure the root partition, but doesn't accept either the native
device names for the root partition (/dev/ad0s1a) or a geom label
(/dev/label/root).  The list of GEOM devices only includes ad0 and
ad0s1.

The disk isn't dangerously dedicated, but I only added geom labels to
the partitions last night.  The glabels work fine under 7.2-STABLE, but
RELENG_8 seems to ignore them.  I've attached output from fdisk,
bsdlabel, and glabel in case I'm misinterpreting them.  I haven't gotten
a dmesg yet, because I need to get this kernel on a memory stick to do
so.

I'll be able to run more diagnostics under 8.0 tonight.

Any ideas?

--
Ted Faber
http://www.isi.edu/~faber           PGP: http://www.isi.edu/~faber/pubkeys.asc