Re: Still can't seem to get sysutils/hal compile on current.

From: Doug Barton <dougb_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 15:29:41 -0700
Kevin Oberman wrote:
> No, you parsed it quite well,

First time for everything. :)

> but the standard recommendation was simply
> to "re-install al ports" and was accompanied in some cases with the
> suggestion to use portupgrade or portmaster to do this.

I'm not sure that is the standard recommendation. However let me make
myself clear, I and a lot of others recommend to first remove all your
old ports, then reinstall the ones you want to have again.

> Cleaning out /usr/local is the way to avoid this, but it is far more
> time consuming, especially sysadmin time, than re-installing ports by
> using portupgrade/portmaster, so it is done far less often.

Actually I think time-wise it's a wash, unless you're in a position to
do 'rm -rf /usr/local/*' in which case that would be much faster than
'pkg_delete -f *'. The reason it's a wash is that even portmaster and
portupgrade do the pkg_delete step, they just do it "in line" with the
upgrade for that port.

hth,

Doug