Re: tmux(1) in base

From: Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd_at_quip.cz>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 13:36:48 +0200
Sergey Vinogradov wrote:
> В Mon, 21 Sep 2009 13:26:57 +0200
> Ed Schouten <ed_at_80386.nl> пишет:

[...]

> I don't think tmux(1) should be included in the base system. As it was
> mentioned, it will be hard to update it, many people will still install
> screen(1) because they still like it more, or just got used to it, the
> system will become a little more bloated, and nobody likes when that
> happens :)

[...]

> The things in the base system I always wondered about are sendmail
> and bind9. These are pretty heavy, and definitely are not used in every
> single installation. Maybe someday I'll see sendmail and bind9 in ports
> instead of base system. And yes, I know about WITHOUT_BIND= and
> WITHOUT_SENDMAIL= :)

I can second this. I am using Sendmail only on one machine (replaced
with Postfix on the others) and the same with BIND.
It should be better to not have them in base, but have them as ports
with special care of FreeBSD team. It will give us better possibility of
updates and fixes for users who are using them.

And if SW like this will be available for install by sysinstall in some
extra category as 'always on the first / minimal media' (or installed by
default?), then anybody can install it if needed.

Miroslav Lachman