Re: RELENG_8 regression: cannot detect partitions (now with boot -v)

From: Ted Faber <faber_at_isi.edu>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 11:47:00 -0700
On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 07:45:15PM +0200, Dimitry Andric wrote:
> On 2009-09-22 17:14, Ted Faber wrote:
> > That's the USB disk label I was using to get the boot from.  The slices
> > on ad0: /dev/ad0s1a /dev/ad0s1d and /dev/ad0s1e are the ones I don't
> > see.
>
> Just checking. :)  Can you run (from a rescue disk or 7-STABLE):
>
>   dd if=/dev/ad2 count=4 2>/dev/null | hexdump -C
>
> and post the output here?  Output of fdisk and bsdlabel would also be
> handy.

The bsdlabel and fdisk were attached to the first message, but I've
attached them here as well, along with the output of

$ dd if=/dev/ad0 count=4 2>/dev/null | hexdump -C

from the running 7.2 install.  7.2 finds the disk as ad0 not ad2.

I've also gotten a pointer to this message, which sounds a lot like my
problem:

http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=774931+0+archive/2009/freebsd-current/20090118.freebsd-current

I'm planning to save that sector and then try erasing it as the message
suggests when I get access to the machine tonight.  If the output from
the dd above will confirm that diagnosis, that would be great.  I don't
know what a stale disklabel looks like, myself...

Thanks!

--
Ted Faber
http://www.isi.edu/~faber           PGP: http://www.isi.edu/~faber/pubkeys.asc