Re: BIND in the base (Was: Re: tmux(1) in base)

From: Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-current-local_at_be-well.ilk.org>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 17:33:00 -0400
Gregory Shapiro <gshapiro_at_freebsd.org> writes:

>> I suppose it doesn't matter to you that sendmail is actually
>> maintained by Greg Shapiro, VP, CTO of Sendmail, Inc.
>
> While I appreciate the vote of confidence, it doesn't, and it shouldn't.
> I'll continue to maintain sendmail in the base as long as it is welcome
> there.  If the project wants it moved out, that is not up to me (though
> I hope it stays).

There's also the Principle of Least Astonishment.  The pain of any
change would be substantial (albeit short-lived).

> I haven't spent a lot of time looking at DMA, but some requirements that
> pop to mind for it to be a replacement would be things like accepting
> local mail via SMTP (e.g., for MUAs which use SMTP submission) and
> supporting STARTTLS and SMTP AUTH for talking to the upstream MTA.

The point of DMA is that it does the absolute minimum needed to get a
workable system.  That *minimum* is really just delivering locally
generated mail somewhere else, primarily to make sure root's cron
e-mails go somewhere.  To actually receive mail, another MTA would
always be needed.

STARTTLS and TLS/SSL do seem to be supported, and enough virtusertable
functionality to get the from addresses replyable.

None of which should be interpreted as an opinion on my part.  I will
only develop (much less express) an opinion if absolutely pressed.

Be well.