Re: sb600/sb700 ohci experimental patch

From: Svein Skogen (listmail account) <"Svein>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 10:22:23 +0200

Andriy Gapon wrote:
> on 25/09/2009 11:02 Svein Skogen (listmail account) said the following:
>> Andriy Gapon wrote:
>>> on 24/09/2009 17:51 Hans Petter Selasky said the following:
>> *SNIP!*
>>
>>> Not sure how to interpret this.
>>> Either a timing issue, i.e. the register gets over-written some time after we
>>> program it.
>>> Or perhaps a bug in SMM code, i.e. when we generate an SMI (e.g. while doing
>>> ohci1 takeover) SMM code erroneously writes something to ohci0 ctrlhead.
>>> Or something else... :)
>> Could it be related to "USB Legacy Devices" in bios, and thus be the
>> same problem that was discussed recently (regarding HZ larger than 1000)?
>>
>> An usb-legacy setup might explain both the register-changing _AND_ the
>> timing issue...
>
> It very well could, but...
>
> We do perform proper OHCI takeover, so we don't expect firmware to mess with the
> controllers after it is finished.
>
> Also, I personally have everything "USB legacy" disabled in my BIOS ("USB Legacy
> Support", "USB Keyboard support", "USB Mouse support"). Although, Gigabyte BIOSes
> are known to be sometimes smarter than they appear and to "autodetect" things when
> they are explicitly turned off in settings.
>
> Last point. Explaining is half the job. Fixing / working around is the other half.
>
> P.S. I am not sure what "timing issue" you referred to.

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2009-September/051812.html

//Svein

- --
- --------+-------------------+-------------------------------
  /"\   |Svein Skogen       | svein_at_d80.iso100.no
  \ /   |Solberg Østli 9    | PGP Key:  0xE5E76831
   X    |2020 Skedsmokorset | svein_at_jernhuset.no
  / \   |Norway             | PGP Key:  0xCE96CE13
        |                   | svein_at_stillbilde.net
 ascii  |                   | PGP Key:  0x58CD33B6
 ribbon |System Admin       | svein-listmail_at_stillbilde.net
Campaign|stillbilde.net     | PGP Key:  0x22D494A4
        |msn messenger:     | Mobile Phone: +47 907 03 575
        |svein_at_jernhuset.no | RIPE handle:    SS16503-RIPE
         If you really are in a hurry, mail me at
               svein-mobile_at_stillbilde.net
 This mailbox goes directly to my cellphone and is checked
        even when I'm not in front of my computer.
                     Picture Gallery:
          https://gallery.stillbilde.net/v/svein/