Re: Booting off raidz *mostly* work

From: Artem Belevich <fbsdlist_at_src.cx>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 14:49:14 -0700
Our bootloader implementation does not know how to read gang blocks.
Compare the code from OpenSolaris' variant of grub with what we have
and find the differences:

Search for zio_read_data here:
http://bitbucket.org/osunix/osunix-gate/src/1cca4617b3a8/usr/src/grub/grub-0.97/stage2/fsys_zfs.c

And compare with our zio_read here:
http://fxr.watson.org/fxr/source/boot/zfs/zfsimpl.c?im=excerpts#L900

We seem to be missing gang block check. That would explain why zfsboot
works only sometimes. If all the files are written using regular
blocks, then we're OK. However, some time later (i.e. during upgrade
or after an edit), some data can end up written to disk in a gang
block and that would make zfsboot choke.

--Artem