Re: HEADSUP: zlib updated [svn commit: r205471 - in head: . lib/libz lib/libz/contrib lib/libz/doc sys/sys]

From: Mark Linimon <linimon_at_lonesome.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2010 03:46:40 -0500
On Thu, Apr 01, 2010 at 03:30:47PM +0200, Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
> And yes, I *will* keep harping on this until people Get It.

You're harping at the wrong people.  Complain to the application authors,
not to the poor slobs trying to maintain the ports collection.

There's a lot of crap code out there on the internet.  If we want to
insist that all the application authors both a) write good code and that
b) understands how FreeBSD does things, well, we can do that, but it's
not going to have much effect.

Probably 75%+ of the application authors neither know nor care that
their code is being run on anything other than Linux.  In extreme
cases we've enountered authors who outright refuse to accept our
patches, either due to philosophical disagreement or just due to the
xtra hassle.

I'd just be happy if we could keep what we have working, without
"surprise" regressions.  I'm not going to get in the business of trying
to preach to the application authors.  Feel free.

mcl