Re: Results of BIND RFC

From: Reko Turja <reko.turja_at_liukuma.net>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2010 14:01:57 +0300
+AD4- Strongly disagree.
+AD4-
+AD4APg- Or if it cannot, the +ACI-base
+AD4APg- system+ACI- needs to start using pkg+AF8AKg- (somehow) for use, and src.conf
+AD4APg- WITHOUT+AF8-xxx (where xxx +AD0- some software) removed.  Concept being: +ACI-I
+AD4APg- don't need Kerberos+ADs- pkg+AF8-delete base-krb5.  I also don't need
+AD4APg- lib32+ADs-
+AD4APg- pkg+AF8-delete base-lib32+ACI-.  Beautiful concept, hard to implement due
+AD4APg- to
+AD4APg- libraries being yanked out from underneathe binaries that are
+AD4APg- linked to
+AD4APg- them.  But you get the idea.
+AD4-
+AD4- This +ACo-might+ACo- be workable. However, in general - a large part of the
+AD4- reason why I use FreeBSD is that the FreeBSD base system gives me
+AD4- most of what I want, in +ACo-one+ACo- well defined chunk, +ACo-without+ACo- having
+AD4- to install a zillion extra packages, and without umpteen different
+AD4- versions of config files and locations for the important
+AD4- information.

me +-1

If I wanted to go Gnu/BSD (or Loonix) route, I'd already installed
either thank you. Funny though that BIND which is pretty
straightforward as configuration goes and as much essential system
component as Sendmail is getting the axe. I thought one of the main
philosophies in FreeBSD always was being a system in itself, rather
than kernel with some haphazardly thrown in components added.

-Reko