Re: HP, IBM and Supermicro Servers Compatibility.

From: Ivan Voras <ivoras_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 23:14:59 +0200
Miroslav Lachman wrote:
> Juanito Cassemiro wrote:
>> Hi.
>>
>> I want to know if the IBM, HP or Supermicro Servers are compatible
>> with FreeBSD OS. Could you send me a hardware compatibility list with
>> compatible servers?
>
> It depends on server model, not on manufacturer in general.
> I have some IBM, HP, Supermicro and Sun servers in production. But it
> does not mean all IBM / HP / SM servers will work.

I'd agree but would also add that "most will work ok" - especially from
the eariler Xeon 5000/5100/5200/5300/5400 series. These systems have
hardware which is well tested and developed through the years - it would
be an anomaly to find a configuration that doesn't work.

I have systems with all of the above CPUs on versions of FreeBSD from
6.x to 8.x, with all of the above vendors (well, not all CPU+Vendor
combinations :) ) and not a single unsolvable problem. I had the most
problems with blade servers.

I'm writing this on a 2x 54xx system from SuperMicro.