Re: Switchover to CAM ATA?

From: John Baldwin <jhb_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 09:50:33 -0400
On Thursday 22 April 2010 11:31:37 am Alexander Motin wrote:
> If ataraid(4) should be reimplemented in GEOM, then how exactly? One
> more separate RAID infrastructure in GEOM (third?) looks excessive.
> Reuse gmirror, gstripe,... code would be nice, but will make them more
> complicated and could be not easy for RAID0+1 (due to common metadata)
> and RAID5 (due to lack of module in a base system).

Scott's view (which sounds good to me) is that GEOM should include a library
of routines for working with common transforms such as RAID1, striping, etc.
Each ATA RAID vendor format would then consist of a small GEOM module that
used the library routines to manage all the I/O and the bulk of the module
would be managing a specific metadata format.

--
John Baldwin