Re: HEADS UP: SUJ Going in to head today

From: Jeff Roberson <jroberson_at_jroberson.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2010 16:57:59 -1000 (HST)
On Sun, 25 Apr 2010, Alex Keda wrote:

> try in single user mode:
>
> tunefs -j enable /
> tunefs: Insuffient free space for the journal
> tunefs: soft updates journaling can not be enabled
>
> tunefs -j enable /dev/ad0s2a
> tunefs: Insuffient free space for the journal
> tunefs: soft updates journaling can not be enabled
> tunefs: /dev/ad0s2a: failed to write superblock

There is a bug that prevents enabling journaling on a mounted filesystem.
So for now you can't enable it on /.  I see that you have a large / volume
but in general I would also suggest people not enable suj on / anyway as
it's typically not very large.  I only run it on my /usr and /home
filesystems.

I will send a mail out when I figure out why tunefs can't enable suj on /
while it is mounted read-only.

Thanks,
Jeff