Re: Switchover to CAM ATA?

From: Alexander Motin <mav_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 15:51:01 +0300
Marius Strobl wrote:
> As noted earlier, pc98 and sparc64 need ada(4)/CAM ATA to perform
> geometry translation as done by ad_firmware_geom_adjust() for ad(4),
> which the following patch hooks up to both:
> http://people.freebsd.org/~marius/ata_disk_firmware_geom_adjust.diff
> You preferred to implement such functionality via XPT_CALC_GEOMETRY
> though (I'm still not convinced that it makes sense to put this
> functionality into every ATA SIM the same way it is done for SCSI
> rather than letting ada(4) handle it the same way for all SIMs
> however). Have you looked into implementing XPT_CALC_GEOMETRY for
> ATA CAM or is it okay to commit the above patch?

Sorry, I have forgotten about this.

I don't have better idea. For ATA translation seems indeed more
platform- then controller-specific. May be I would just preferred to see
this hack to be done inside XPT_CALC_GEOMETRY handler, as it is done now
for PC98 SCSI. But looking that whole this topic is quite crappy and
hopefully going to die sometimes, I won't argue much against committing
this as-is for now.

--
Alexander Motin