Re: Keyboard problem with new MacBook Pro.

From: Peter Ankerstål <peter_at_pean.org>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 21:31:56 +0200
On 25 apr 2010, at 09.51, Hans Petter Selasky wrote:

> On Sunday 25 April 2010 09:30:12 Peter Ankerstål wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have the newly released macbook pro 13" (7,1). (swedish keyboard) And it
>> seems that I have some problem with the USB-keyboard driver. The keyboard
>> seems to work more or less in the boot meny, I can type and so on. But
>> when the system is booted the keyboard dosent work. It seems like ctrl is
>> constantly pressed or something like that. Nothing that I've done gives me
>> normal characters on screen. Its the FreeBSD 7.3 amd64 version i have
>> installed btw. (8.0 or 9.0 freeezes during boot due to some acpi-problem
>> http://wiki.freebsd.org/AppleMacbook#head-083ebc072fcd20e07a74a11565fc41af
>> b2ca099b)
>>
>> I have got the keyboard to partially work when using the fixit cd. If I
>> choose US UNIX keymap first and then switch to some other keymap, say US
>> ISO och Swedish ISO it works to type but shift, ctrl and so on doesnt
>> work.
>
> Hi,
>
> In 8-stable and 9-current, we have made several patches in the USB keyboard
> area for Apple Keyboards, like supporting the eject key, swapping keys, etc.
>
> Regaring the boot issue with Mac, I think it can be solved by adding a quirk
> in the kernel:
>
> amd64/machdep.c:                if (strncmp(sysenv, "MacBook1,1", 10) == 0 ||
> amd64/machdep.c:                    strncmp(sysenv, "MacBook3,1", 10) == 0 ||
> amd64/machdep.c:                    strncmp(sysenv, "MacBookPro1,1", 13) == 0
> amd64/machdep.c:                    strncmp(sysenv, "MacBookPro1,2", 13) == 0
> amd64/machdep.c:                    strncmp(sysenv, "MacBookPro3,1", 13) == 0
> amd64/pmap.c:                   if (strncmp(sysenv, "MacBook5,1", 10) == 0 ||
> amd64/pmap.c:                       strncmp(sysenv, "MacBookPro5,5", 13) == 0
>
> Similar for i386.
>
> Could you print out your sysenv during boot and try adding your MacBook to the
> quirk list?
>
> --HPS

Hi!

I managed to get the boot-process past the ACPI-part by adding
similar lines like above (MacBookPro7,1) to the FreeBSD HEAD branch (as of 26 April 19:00 CEST). Made a release iso like this: http://romana.now.ie/writing/customfreebsdiso.html

But now the boot-process panics at a later stage in the process and it looks like this:
http://www.pean.org/macbook_boot.jpg

Any pointers?