Re: FreeBSD kernel doesn't boot on FUJITSU PRIMERGY RX200 S5 server

From: John Baldwin <jhb_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 12:04:43 -0400
On Thursday 22 April 2010 4:07:37 pm Maxim Sobolev wrote:
> John Baldwin wrote:
Nehalem
> >> That makes sense. Unfortunately I don't have access to the BIOS
> >> settings. This is a hosted system, and the provider keeps BIOS password
> >> for themselves.
> >>
> >> I have a patch that fixes that issue by measuring status register
> >> reading time first and then factoring it in the calculations of the
> >> number of retries:
> >>
> >> http://sobomax.sippysoft.com/atkbdc.diff
> >>
> >> It also applies the same logic to detect broken/non-existing keyboard
> >> controller to amd64 as we do to the i386. I'd appreciate if you can do a
> >> review.
> >
> > Hmm, not all i386 CPUs that we support have a TSC.  Is the change to
> > atkbdc_isa.c sufficient to fix the hang?  If so, I'd rather just commit
that
> > bit and leave out the read_delay changes.
>
> No, it's not sufficient. The problem here is that for some reason that
> test passes on that system (probably emulation works) and so that normal
> keyboard attach routine is invoked early in boot, when we don't even
> have clock initialized. What if I make TSC-related changes amd64? Will
> that be OK?

Hmm, I think you should definitely commit the atkbdc_isa.c change first of
all.  I'm still thinking about the other change.  I wonder if we can figure
out that a keyboard isn't present sooner somehow?  Do you know if the keyboard
appears to be present but just slow vs if the keyboard is eventually found to
not be present?

--
John Baldwin