Re: Switchover to CAM ATA?

From: Dag-Erling Smørgrav <des_at_des.no>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 09:35:17 +0200
Alexander Motin <mav_at_FreeBSD.org> writes:
> I haven't dug really deep into current ataraid(4), but AFAIK it is all
> done in software. At least there is no any offloading support on the
> controller drivers level. None of ata(4) drivers do anything except
> executing one ATA command at a time.

Correct.

That doesn't mean they *shouldn't* use offloading.

Like I said, I started working on checksum offloading for Promise SATA
controllers, but ZFS came along and I replaced the controllers because
of data corruption issues (which turned out to be either a driver bug or
a PCI timing bug which sos_at_ worked around in the driver, I forget which)

> Any URLs?

Google "Promise FastTrak SATA RAID"

I have two or three of those, including one with on-board SDRAM (but no
battery backup)

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des_at_des.no