Re: Making IFQ_MAXLEN tunable

From: Maxim Sobolev <sobomax_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 15:00:20 -0700
Julian Elischer wrote:
> On 4/30/10 1:23 PM, Maxim Sobolev wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Many network drivers in the FreeBSD kernel use the IFQ_MAXLEN value to
>> set length of the outgoing packets queue. The default value for that
>> parameter is only 50, which is pretty low especially for the cases when
>> the system handles lot of small packets and can cause ENOBUFS in
>> applications under the load. The following patch makes IFQ_MAXLEN a
>> tunable. I am also tempted to bump the default value for IFQ_MAXLEN
>> 10-fold, but would like to hear what do people think about it first.
>>
>> http://sobomax.sippysoft.com/IFQ_MAXLEN.diff
>
> so just tunable? not a sysctl :-)

The sysctl would require much bigger rewrite. As long as I understand
the value is now cached in many instances of the ifnet structure, and
some drivers even use their own queue length instead of IFQ_MAXLEN.
Therefore, even if I make this parameter a sysctl one would have to
destroy interface and create it again in order for the change to have an
effect. Therefore, keeping it tunable would be less confusing.

> patch could be a lot smaller if you defined IFQ_MAXLEN to be V_ifqmaxlen
> (do different vimages want a different value?)

I am not quite sure about that. AFAIK vimage is more high-level thing,
while this parameter controls queue length between kernel and hardware
interface driver. vimage lies above that.

-Maxim