Re: Panic _at_r210841 in iwi_auth_and_assoc(): iwi firmware not idle, state ASSOCIATING

From: Ulrich Spörlein <uqs_at_spoerlein.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2010 21:18:11 +0200
On Thu, 05.08.2010 at 07:05:50 -0700, David Wolfskill wrote:
> Before I get to the "good stuff", I'll note that:
>
> * I'm no longer running a VIMAGE kernel, so that possible source of
>   confusion should be absent.
>
> * The hardware in question (a miniPCI device in my laptop) has been
>   working under stable/7 and stable/8 (so I believe that there should be
>   nothing so wrong with the hardware that it should cause a panic).
>
> * I tend to see a lot of messages: "iwi0: firmware error" -- especially
>   running CURRENT.  I have seen a few of them while running stable/7, as
>   well (but no panics under stable/*).
>
> * An ath(4) PCcard works fine (now that I'm not running VIMAGE).

Ever since I upgrade to 9-CURRENT (might have happened before) I have
trouble with iwi(4) from time to time. The firmware error is pretty
common but I can usually recover using "kldunload if_iwi; sleep 10;
kldload if_iwi".

However, sometimes a real panic occurs and iwi(4) seems to play a role.
Note that I'm using wpa_supplicant and iwi0/wlan0 is aggregated into
lagg0 (but same problems also exist without if_lagg in the mix).

I cannot get to the laptop's /var/crash right now (due to a freak
spilling accident) but hope to be able to provide crashdumps in a
fortnight (if there's someone interested in further iwi(4) development
...)

Cheers,
Uli