Re: [BETA testing] USB 3.0 Super Speed support in FreeBSD

From: Hans Petter Selasky <hselasky_at_c2i.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 12:29:41 +0200
On Wednesday 11 August 2010 12:17:28 Rafal Jaworowski wrote:
> On 2010-08-07, at 21:43, Hans Petter Selasky wrote:
> > During the last two weeks I've been working hard to get USB 3.0 support
> > added to the FreeBSD 8+ USB stack. There are a couple of issues left,
> > but right now the code is in a state were enumeration of USB devices is
> > possible and there are no dirty hacks :-)
> >
> > The XHCI chip, which is the PCI interface for USB 3.0, is a replacement
> > for OHCI/UHCI/EHCI and can also drive USB Super Speed (4.8 Gbps). I
> > expect there to be a througput and performance increase when switching
> > over to the XHCI interface also for 2.0 compatible devices, because it
> > has a better data queuing mechanism.
>
> Nice work! What exactly is the USB3 controller chip you're working with?

Hi,

It is this one:

http://www.intel.com/technology/usb/download/xHCI_Specification_for_USB.pdf

I currently have a PCI express card from some vendor, which implements support
for the XHCI spec. and I've seen good results so far. I would very much like
to test the XHCI driver on ARM, if any chips exist yet which has the XHCI
included in the ASIC.

--HPS