Re: Official request: Please make GNU grep the default

From: Astrodog <astrodog_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 12:28:44 -0500
On Sun, Aug 15, 2010 at 12:10 PM, Steven Hartland
<killing_at_multiplay.co.uk> wrote:
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Andrew Thompson" <thompsa_at_FreeBSD.org>
>>
>> On 15 August 2010 13:55, Doug Barton <dougb_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Our default grep should be significantly slower than the old grep
>>> because:
>>>
>>> I think that new grep which is ____ times slower than the old grep is
>>> still
>>> in the acceptable range.
>>

>> I think that new grep which is 1000 times slower than the old grep is
>> still in the acceptable range.
>>
>> Can we drop this now.
>
> I assume your joking right? Either that or your never use grep day to day
> so don't really care :(

I'd like my grep to be orange, please, not this kiwi lime tripe the
rest of you are pushing.

The person who committed it has already said they'll back it out, but
leave it in the tree for experimenters, until some of these concerns
are addressed. At that point, we can all discuss if the performance
penalty (assuming there is one, at that point) is worth having a BSD
licensed version.
Until then, can this thread die?

--- Harrison