Re: Runaway intr, not flash related

From: Doug Barton <dougb_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 22:23:03 -0700 (PDT)
On Mon, 16 Aug 2010, Peter Jeremy wrote:

> On 2010-Aug-14 20:30:44 -0700, Doug Barton <dougb_at_FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>> It DOESN'T happen with loads that produce a lot more heat than my
>> typical desktop workloads (like say, make -j2 buildworld).
>
> Whilst I also doubt it's hardware, it's worth noting that flash
> (or other multimedia workload) is likely to stress different areas
> of the CPU than makeworld,

I was responding to the heat question, not cpu load. Other than that,
you're right of course. :)

> Have you checked to see if there's a BIOS upgrade available?

Yes I have, and no there isn't.

> Other possibilities:
> - Have you tried running a uniprocessor kernel?

That one I haven't tried, thanks for the suggestion!

> - If your CPU supports LM, have you tried an amd64 kernel?

I haven't, mostly because in the past some things I wanted were not
available in amd64. I'm running a C2D in i386/SMP. Trying amd64 is a bit
more of a jump, but when I get my HD repartitioned I can try 7.3 i386
and -current amd64 ... back to the drawing board ...

Doug

 			-- Pablo Picasso