Re: CFR: Replace man/manpath/whatis/apropos with a shell script

From: Alexander Best <arundel_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 16:25:24 +0000
On Wed Aug 18 10, Gordon Tetlow wrote:
> All,
>
> I sat down and rewrote the man tools from a relatively old codebase to a
> single shell script. My original motivation was to allow multiple
> configuration files so port installations did not have to mess with
> /etc/manpath.config (like perl for example) when needing to manipulate the
> manpath. After looking at the existing code, I figured I could rewrite it as
> a shell script relatively easily.
>
> Script (install as /usr/bin/man, /usr/bin/manpath, /usr/bin/apropos,
> /usr/bin/whatis)
> http://people.freebsd.org/~gordon/man.sh<http://people.freebsd.org/%7Egordon/man.sh>

wow! that's great. thanks a lot. :)

could you have a look at gnu/4419? although your script seems to fix this issue
partially, when *.[0-9] and *[0-9].gz manuals exist it will choose the
uncompressed file and complain with "not in gzip format".

it would be nice if your script would prefer compressed over uncompressed
manuals.

however i'm not sure if a different approach might be better. people with more
in depth knowledge might want to comment on this.

cheers.
alex

--
a13x