Re: Official request: Please make GNU grep the default

From: M. Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 12:16:35 -0600 (MDT)
In message: <4C6C1CFE.6060900_at_FreeBSD.org>
            Gabor Kovesdan <gabor_at_freebsd.org> writes:
: When reply, please remove core_at_ from CC, let's not bother them with
: this, I just wanted to let them know that I'm not neglecting this
: issue but if still demanded for a good reason, I'll switch back to
: default GNU grep.

So making it default turned out well in the end.  Sure, there was pain
involved (but this is current), but making it default exposed the pain
that would otherwise have gone unnoticed.  The big hue and cry, while
excessive at times, did result in people actually running the
profiling tools which pointed to the buffering as the number one thing
to fix.  That being fixed now, it looks like we can go to the next
stage: benchmarking again.

Thanks, Gabor and everybody else that contributed, for seeing this
through.

Warner