Re: Official request: Please make GNU grep the default

From: V. T. Mueller, Continum <v.t.mueller_at_continum.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 13:32:58 +0200
Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
>> In other words: as long as there are unresolved issues, the default
>> should be set to GNU grep. This doesn't stop anyone from improving the
>> BSD grep we're all waiting for. It only does good to those who rely on
>> using grep - expecting correctness and speed.
>
> Based on my 12 years of experience in this project, you are very, very
> wrong.

An 'argumentation' like the above is simply a killer phrase that ends
every discussion.
OTOH, absence of valid argumentation doesn't necessarily mean that your
statement has to be wrong.
I'm always willing to learn. Since you've also tried to correct me about
constructive and polite behaviour - might I suggest that you add a few
words about what is right in your opinion, when telling folks they are
wrong? This would add to both, I guess.

Cheers
vt

--
Volker T. Mueller
Continum AG

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Freiburg im Breisgau
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Freiburg, HRB 6866
Vorstand: Rolf Mathis, Volker T. Mueller
Vorsitzender d. Aufsichtsrats: Prof. Dr. Karl-F. Fischbach