Re: BSD grep performance

From: Gabor Kovesdan <gabor_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 12:12:48 +0200
  Em 2010.08.19. 8:41, Doug Barton escreveu:

>> The performance is now almost comparable to GNU grep.
>
> I think you're using a very liberal definition of "comparable."
Ok, comparable for the casual cases but not generally comparable.

>> I think with this, BSD grep may remain default if no other serious
>> issues come up.
>
> I'm not going to re-state my opinion here except to say it hasn't
> changed. Even if the performance were not an issue I think the bugs
> mentioned below combined with your 4-day absence should also have been
> considerations. However, in regards to this particular case I think
> it's pretty obvious that I'm either alone, or in a very non-vocal
> group; so c'est la vie.
I think the 4-day absence was not such a big deal given that we are
talking about -current, I just wanted to let you know that I would not
be responsive because of absence not ignorance. Other people also felt
in the same way; it's fine to allow a short unstable period in -current
to get things arranged.

> However, from the standpoint of committer relations I think that first
> stating that you would change the default, then not doing so before
> all of the outstanding issues were resolved is not what I would
> consider a good model for others to follow.

I've just changed it back. No, I didn't lie to you, I just wanted to
reevaluate if the remaining difference in ther performance was
acceptable. We improved it a lot since you let us know about this
problem and there is possibility that further improvements are to happen
soon.

I thank you that you helped the process with valuable feedback but I
think it could have been done in a less noisy way and arrogant way. You
called the attention to the performance problem, which is fine and
necessary but I'd have reacted in the same way if you hadn't CC'd core_at_
in the very first mail and hadn't included the "Official request" words
in the subject. But I know that there are people, who feel them so
important that they have to always call the attention in the noisy way
(ego in the Buddhist meaning) and I also have some personal problems
that I feel bothered by such type of behaviour. This is a sign for me
that I have to practice more acceptance and patience in the life.

Gabor