Apparent regression in extended/logical partition handling

From: Doug Barton <dougb_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 15:35:37 -0700
Howdy,

partition unless all space is assigned to a logical volume, and all
logical volumes are formatted with a file system. 7.3-RELEASE does not
have this problem.

Background:
So I got a new HD, and wanted to put Windows, a fat 32 data partition, 2
FreeBSDs, and Linux on it. After much juggling, cursing, etc. I finally
hit upon a solution. Windows and FreeBSDs in primary partitions, and
fat32-data and Linux in an extended partition. Voila!

My first pass at this configuration had the 3 primary partitions first,
but the linux (ubuntu gnome to be specific) "Disk Utility" tool was
showing all the freebsd-style partitions (ad[12]s[a-f]) as linux-style
partitions (sdaN) under the extended dos-style partition, which not only
looked odd, but other tools on the linux desktop (such as Nautilus) were
confused by this. So I looked on line and found a how-to that said this
is caused by having the extended partition last, and the confusion can
be avoided if I put the extended partition 2nd, and the 2 FreeBSD
partitions after it. So I did that, and unfortunately it did not help
Nautilus be any less confused. However, it did lead to what I think is a
regression in -current.

Specifically what I did was to boot Windows XP, delete all the
partitions other than the XP partition (first primary dos-style
partition) and then create a dos-style extended partition, and a logical
drive inside of it, leaving room for linux in that same extended
partition. Since I want that data volume to be fat32, and it is too
large for windows to do it, I next installed FreeBSD 9-current, in a
dos-style primary partition. I got it installed fine, but when I booted
into FreeBSD 9 to format the logical volume it could not see it. fdisk
showed the right information about the extended partition, but in /dev
instead of seeing no ad0s2 and seeing ad0s5 like I expected instead
there was no ad0s5 and there were ad0s2 entries that mirrored the ad0s3
that FreeBSD 9 was installed on. IOW, I had ad0s3 and ad0s3[a-f] as
expected, but I had the same for ad0s2 even though they were obviously
not valid.

"Well that's odd" I thought, but undaunted I proceeded to install
FreeBSD 7.3-RELEASE in the last dos-style primary partition. When I
booted it I could see the expected set of entries in /dev, and was
finally able to newfs the fat32 volume. After confirming that Windows
can see the fat32 volume I proceeded to boot FreeBSD 9 again. Still no
joy. So then I proceeded with the Linux install (using up the last of
the space inside the extended partition) and now FreeBSD 9 has the
expected entries in /dev, and I can mount the fat32 volume. Haven't
tried mounting the Linux volumes yet, although the right number of
entries are there in /dev. So this appears to be an actual bug/regression.

FYI, after getting everything installed and working I did not nuke it
all again to see if moving the extended partition last fixed the issue
for FreeBSD 9, but I sort of vaguely recall that when I did the install
the first time (with extended at the end) I couldn't see it in FreeBSD 9
either; but didn't dwell on it.

One side note, I was taught "back in the day" that dos-style extended
partitions always had to be at the end of the disk. Before trying the
configuration I have I searched quite a few places to find a reference
to that rule and couldn't find one. Perhaps this is something that's
actually improved in the PC world in the last 25 years? :)

Doug

			-- Pablo Picasso