Re: coretemp TjMax

From: Xin LI <delphij_at_delphij.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2010 17:32:17 -0800

Hi,

On 12/06/10 12:52, Irakli wrote:
> Information about this cpu I get from windows coretemp program
> http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/
>
> this is screenshot of this program (new version)
> http://technbball.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/coretemp_e6750.jpg
>
> older version gets 100 degree for this cpu
> http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/8525/voltagecm9.jpg
>
> and some forums
> http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/378478-tjmax-e6750.html
>
> I haven't any authoritative source but sure 85 degree is wrong for this cpu
> because freebsd gets lower core temperature then room temperature is

Ok to make it clear - I did see some forums mentioned 95 C but these are
not authoritative in my opinion (e.g. I was not able to figure out if
all 0x6fb CPUs have 95C TjMax, or just a few models, etc).

> can you add some code for setting tjmax manualy from sysctl ?

Yes will do.  Did the patch help your situation by the way?

> thank you
>

> On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 10:51 PM, Xin LI <delphij_at_delphij.net
> <mailto:delphij_at_delphij.net>> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> On 12/04/10 13:59, Irakli wrote:
>> Hi,
>
>> ns# cpucontrol -m 0x1a2 /dev/cpuctl0
>> MSR 0x1a2: 0x00000000 0x00001600
>
>> ns# grep GenuineIntel /var/run/dmesg.boot
>> Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x6fb  Family = 6  Model = f
>  Stepping = 11
>
> I didn't found any authoritative source that gives me 95.  Where did you
> get the information?
>
> Attached is a patch that uses 95C for stepping G0 but I'm really
> clueless whether that's right.
>
>> On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 5:13 PM, Xin LI <delphij_at_delphij.net
> <mailto:delphij_at_delphij.net>
>> <mailto:delphij_at_delphij.net <mailto:delphij_at_delphij.net>>> wrote:
>
>> [Redirected to -current_at_]
>
>> Hi,
>
>> On 11/15/10 03:32, Irakli wrote:
>>> Hi
>>> coretemp gets wrong TjMax for Intel E6750 CPU (CPUID 06FBh), 85
>> instead of
>>> 95.
>>> and therefore monitoring programs see low then room temperature
>> (in air
>>> cooling)
>>> Please fix this and would be nice allowing users manual setting
>> TjMax from
>>> sysctl
>
>> Would you please provide the following information?
>
>> cpucontrol -m 0x1a2 /dev/cpuctl0
>
>> (kldload cpuctl if necessary).
>
>> And:
>
>> grep GenuineIntel /var/run/dmesg.boot
>
>> Thanks in advance!
>
>> Cheers,
>

> --
> ][rakli

- --
Xin LI <delphij_at_delphij.net>	http://www.delphij.net/
FreeBSD - The Power to Serve!	       Live free or die