Re: a few OptionalObsoleteFiles.inc improvements

From: b. f. <bf1783_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 19:48:15 +0000
On 12/17/10, Alexander Best <arundel_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
> On Tue Dec 14 10, b. f. wrote:
>> Alexander Best wrote:

>> The last part of your patch reverts a change that Warner Losh made in
>> r212525 as part of his tbemd project merge.  It's possible that this
>> change may have been an unintended, but it followed a discussion in
>> which Warner rejected a related patch proposed by Garrett Cooper,
>> partly because sysinstall is included in build-tools in Makefile.inc1,
>> even though some thought that it should not be.  In any event, you
>> should probably look into that before committing the last part of your
>> patch.
>
> so is csh, but still you can set WITHOUT_TCSH=true and have a world without
> (t)csh.

I'll be more explicit:

Garrett's original patch went a little farther than yours: he also
conditionally removed sysinstall (subject to the use of
WITHOUT_SYSINSTALL) from build-tools in Makefile.inc1, as is done now
under other knobs with sys/modules/aic7xxx/aicasm,
share/syscons/scrnmaps, kerberos5/tools, and rescue/rescue.  That is
primarily what resulted in it being rejected, as no one remembered why
it had been added in:

http://svn.freebsd.org/viewvc/base?view=revision&revision=71238

Subsequently, Warner agreed that it could in fact be removed:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-arch/2010-June/010398.html

However, he didn't remove it, and even later effectively disabled the
WITHOUT_SYSINSTALL knob.  So I'm suggesting that you find out why he
changed his mind (it may have been an oversight), and if sysinstall
really isn't needed, then not only make the changes that you
originally proposed, but also prevent it from being built in the first
place during build-tools, like Garrett did.  (The same should be done
for other parts of that target, too, like the csh bits.)

> no need to worry i'll commit any changes, since i don't have commit rights.
> ;)

...or before asking someone else to commit it.

b.