Re: eventtimers hiccups

From: Alexander Motin <mav_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2010 09:52:15 +0200
Julian Elischer wrote:
>  On 12/24/10 6:31 AM, Stefan Farfeleder wrote:
>> since the new eventtimers code was committed, my notebook (Dell
>> Precision m4400) sometimes hangs for 10-30 seconds, mostly during load.
>> In these periods I can move the mouse pointer but time (as perceived by
>> time(1)) seems to be halted. This is accompanied by lots of calcru:
>> runtime went backwards message, though sometimes they only show up when
>> shutting down.
>>
>> I now set kern.eventtimer.periodic=1 and have not experienced such
>> freezes since then. But it would be nice if the default settigs would
>> work. Is there something I could do to help fixing this?
>> BTW, I'm not using powerd.
>
> I also need to set
>
> kern.eventtimer.periodic=1
>
> if I want my kernel to boot under Xen.
>
> unfortunately it doesn't fix the problem when it doen't shut down.
> (this is a Xen VPS from rootbsd.com)

This is different problem. I've observed this myself too. On my short
experiments system completely hanged immediately as soon as I was
enabling one-shot mode on LAPIC timer, not necessary during boot.
Unluckily I had no enough system access time even to get idea about
what's going on there.

--
Alexander Motin