Re: Can't use USB keyboard during boot menu

From: Andriy Gapon <avg_at_icyb.net.ua>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 15:29:05 +0200
on 23/02/2010 13:18 Renato Botelho said the following:
> On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 7:35 PM, Chris Hedley
> <freebsd-current_at_chrishedley.com> wrote:
[snip]
>> Do you have USB legacy support enabled in your BIOS?  I'm not sure if
>> there's an option for the loader to use USB devices natively, but the BIOS's
>> legacy option where it provides AT/PS2 emulation is probably the easiest way
>> to get the keyboard working.
>
> Yes, I do, but it seems to be a regression on FreeBSD itself, I had this problem
> in the past and I checked the same things i need to check in the past again and
> everything is fine.

A more precise way to state that would be "a regression in FreeBSD boot/loader".
I think that you are referring to the issue that was fixed by r189017.
It might be worthwhile investigating what was done in that revision and what
happened in sys/boot code since then.

One possibility is that your BIOS uses memory above 1MB for USB emulation, but
doesn't mark that memory as used in system memory map.  In that case that memory
could be overwritten by the loader.  If that's true then the blame is on the BIOS.
 Alternatively, our code might be parsing the system memory map incorrectly.
But I am just making wild guesses here.

--
Andriy Gapon