Re: Seeing the dreaded "ZFS: i/o error - all block copies unavailable" on 9.0-CURRENT

From: John Baldwin <jhb_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 08:06:01 -0500
On Wednesday 24 February 2010 10:12:25 pm Chris wrote:
> So it sounds like somehow my system is trying to use the old boot2
> method when I don't hit F12. I'm guessing the difference is due to how
> the hard drive is getting presented to the boot loader by the BIOS.
> How can I get rid of the legacy boot system and use only the ZFS
> bootloader?

Does F12 enable PXE booting or some such?  I can't really tell from your e-
mails exactly what the difference in the two cases are.  The BIOS doesn't
really tell the boot code much of anything.  It just loads the first sector of
the disk into RAM at 0x7c00, puts the BIOS drive number (typically 0x80) into
the %dl register, and starts executing the code it just loaded.  Unless
hitting F12 is somehow booting from a different physical drive (and thus
either loading different boot code or passing a different value of %dl to
another copy of the same boot code), it shouldn't make any difference.

--
John Baldwin