Re: process-sharable pthread synchronous objects

From: Attilio Rao <attilio_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 03:38:35 +0100
2010/1/6 David Xu <davidxu_at_freebsd.org>:
> I want to go further to make some pthread synchronous objects
> process-sharable, do you guy think it is worthy ?
> except mutex and condition variable, others like rwlock and spinlock
> are relative simple.

I'm afraid people is going to produce very messy system resulting in
process shared mutexes where IPC or threads may be used and causing
more harms than good.
Besides that, semaphore can "emulate" a fair amount of locking
features in a non-trivial fashion, forcing developers to think a lot
about it, thus reducing the risk of error.

Said that, I think that introducing shared semaphore has been a good
idea, but I would not go further than that.

Thanks,
Attilio