Re: FreeBSD 8.0 - network stack crashes?

From: Robert N. M. Watson <rwatson_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2010 15:33:06 +0000
On 30 Nov 2009, at 19:13, Eirik Øverby wrote:

> I meant NFS-UDP ... However I was wrong even there; Using NFS over UDP from FreeBSD boxes does not cause the same issue. So OpenBSD seems to be a special case here.
>
> I'm no Wireshark expert (to be fair, I've seen it a few times and tried it once or twice, and that's so long ago it's almost no longer true), so I'd need some input on how to gather useful data. I assume tcpdump, which options? And would it be OK if I made the dump available for download somewhere, so you or someone else can take a look with whichever tools you'd like?

Aii. Over a month zips past in the blink of an eye.

Are you still experiencing this problem? I can certainly look at a wireshark trace, but make no promises. If you do do a trace, then what we should do is have you do run a script that dumps a bunch of relevant stats with nfsstat, netstat, vmstat, etc, before the trace starts, grabs exactly ${someval} seconds of trace data, then dumps all the same stats afterwards. Then we can use the stats to work out about how many leaked packets (or whatever) were present, and try to correlate it to a count of some type of event in the trace.

Robert