Re: [FreeBSD 8/9] USB webcamd and video4bsd: Call for testing

From: Martin Kristensen <mik_at_pc.dk>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 13:16:41 +0100
On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 14:37:37 +0100
Hans Petter Selasky <hselasky_at_c2i.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> During the last couple of days I've spent some time to finish my
> webcam daemon. My webcam daemon is basically an application which
> consists of userspace Video4Linux USB webcam drivers and some uLinux
> glue code which links with libc, pthreads and libusb. The webcamd
> talks to /dev/video_daemonX which is provided by the video4bsd kernel
> module. There is full support for mmap/read/write/open/close. poll is
> not supported.
>
> Basic operation and idea:
>
> /dev/video_daemonX is the interface for the webcamd. /dev/videoX is
> the interface for the V4L application. The video4bsd transports all
> data between these two devices. In the case the V4L application is
> using mmap, no data is copied due to shared kernel memory buffer!
>
> Licensing issues:
>
> Effectivly the webcamd userland program becomes GPL'ed due to the V4L
> USB drivers which are GPL licensed. Some files inside the webcamd
> remains BSD licensed which allows for building similar BSD licensed
> daemons.
>
> The rest of the code is BSD licensed.
>
> Source code:
>
> 1) FreeBSD 8-stable
>
> 2) Apply the patch below and re-install libusb in /usr/src/lib/libusb:
>
> http://p4web.freebsd.org/chv.cgi?CH=172876
>
> http://perforce.freebsd.org/chv.cgi?CH=172876
>
> 3) Compile ulinux (webcamd + libv4l + pwcview) and video4bsd (must be
> checked out in the same folder due to dependencies)
>
> svn --username anonsvn --password anonsvn \
>       checkout svn://svn.turbocat.net/i4b/trunk/usbcam/video4bsd
>
> make all install
> kldload video4bsd
>
> svn --username anonsvn --password anonsvn \
>       checkout svn://svn.turbocat.net/i4b/trunk/usbcam/ulinux
>
> make fetch
> make patch
> make all
> make install
>
> # this will attach to the first detected webcam:
> ./webcamd
>
> # this will try to attach to the given USB unit, interface and V4B
> unit. ./webcamd -d ugen4.1 -i 0 -v 0
>
> # this will display webcam contents from /dev/video0 by default.
> ./pwcview/pwcview
>
> Feedback and bug reports are welcome.
>
> Yes, I am working on getting this into ports!
>
> Known issues:
>
> 1) If you detach the USB webcam you need to manually restart the
> webcamd.
>
> --HPS
>
> Support: I will be available at #bsdusb on efnet during the day.

I works for me on 8-stable, although I get flickering on the lower
third of the pwcview screen. I am using a logitech quickcam pro 9000.

Output from webcamd:
KrefGet: 0x800c95c04 = 1
KrefGet: 0x800c95c04 = 2
KrefGet: 0x800c960bc = 1
KrefGet: 0x800c961ac = 1
Added device 0x800ce2d08
KrefGet: 0x800ce2d0c = 1

KrefGet: 0x800ce2d0c = 2
KrefPut: 0x800ce2d0c = 2

Output from pwcview:
libv4lconvert: Error decompressing JPEG: unknown huffman code: 0000ffec
libv4lconvert: Error decompressing JPEG: fill_nbits error: need 1 more
bits libv4lconvert: Error decompressing JPEG: unknown huffman code:
0000fffd libv4lconvert: Error decompressing JPEG: unknown huffman code:
0000fffd libv4lconvert: Error decompressing JPEG: unknown huffman code:
0000fffd libv4lconvert: Error decompressing JPEG: fill_nbits error:
need 1 more bits libv4lconvert: Error decompressing JPEG: fill_nbits
error: need 1 more bits libv4lconvert: Error decompressing JPEG:
unknown huffman code: 0000ffd9 libv4lconvert: Error decompressing JPEG:
unknown huffman code: 0000ffd9 libv4lconvert: Error decompressing JPEG:
unknown huffman code: 0000ffd9 libv4lconvert: Error decompressing JPEG:
fill_nbits error: need 5 more bits libv4lconvert: Error decompressing
JPEG: fill_nbits error: need 1 more bits libv4lconvert: Error
decompressing JPEG: fill_nbits error: need 5 more bits libv4lconvert:
Error decompressing JPEG: fill_nbits error: need 4 more bits
libv4lconvert: Error decompressing JPEG: fill_nbits error: need 3 more
bits libv4lconvert: Error decompressing JPEG: unknown huffman code:
0000ffff libv4lconvert: Error decompressing JPEG: unknown huffman code:
0000ffff libv4lconvert: Error decompressing JPEG: unknown huffman code:
0000ffff

Great job!
--
Martin Kristensen