very bizare behaviour from ssh/rlogin/rsh/telnet

From: Aryeh Friedman <aryeh.friedman_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 06:30:23 -0500
When I connect from my machine from home (FreeBSD
aryeh-desktop.istudentunion.com 9.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 9.0-CURRENT #0:
Thu Jan 14 05:54:28 EST 2010
root_at_aryeh-desktop.istudentunion.com:/usr/obj/home/src/sys/GENERIC
i386) to one of the servers at work (FreeBSD jack.istudentunion.com
8.0-STABLE FreeBSD 8.0-STABLE #0: Thu Jan  7 02:15:16 UTC 2010
root_at_:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386) with ssh/rlogin/rsh/telnet
on some files vi (vim) simply locks the entire terminal/console (tried
physical console [no GUI or other non-termcap based getty
device)/xterm/Terminal [xfce4]) completely (does not respond any sort
of typing meant for the remote machine [does allow ~. and ^] escapes
to exit the above mentioned commands]) this also happens when I run
certain commands that are avaible in devel/aegis... This *DOES NOT*
occur with any other network/scoket connections *AND* if I use putty
in windows7 to the same remote machine there is no freeze up... This
just all the sudden happened (it was working until a hour or so
ago)... I have tried the following fixes:

* Reboot both machines
* Tried both console and XOrg based connection methods
* Connected to the remote machine with ftp, browser etc. and
copied/viewed the files and commands in question (second item only as
much as possible without a direct connection)
* Tried different OS on the local side (same physical machine [dual boot])
* Rm'ed my user account and remade it (make sure there is no weird configs)
* csup'ed the most recent -CURRENT (as of about 45 mins ago) and did a
make DESTDIR=/ world kernel with no errors (have done the same on the
local machine many times) and mergemaster -aui then reboot

Final note: As far I can tell I did nothing that would of caused this
(it happened all sudden during a remote connection in Terminal with no
other programs open)