make delete-old fails when removing catpages

From: Jeff Blank <jfb_at_mr-happy.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 10:57:55 -0500
Hi,

9-CURRENT, csups around 2000 UTC yesterday and 0100 UTC today, fails
when removing some catpages during 'make delete-old'.  Output below is
from after the initial failure, and context had left my scrollback
buffer, but the first file that failed was /usr/share/man/cat1/rcp.1.gz.
I removed it by hand with no issues and ran again:

==========
# make delete-old
>>> Removing old files (only deletes safe to delete libs)
remove /usr/share/man/cat1/ipftest.1.gz? *** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
# rm /usr/share/man/cat1/ipftest.1.gz
# make delete-old
>>> Removing old files (only deletes safe to delete libs)
remove /usr/share/man/cat1/ipresend.1.gz? *** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
==========

etc.  At the remove prompt, there's about a half-second pause before
the first '*** Error code 1'.  As you can see, I'm not
redirecting/piping to make's stdin.  I can open a fresh xterm, ssh
into the host and delete-old again, same results.

Continuing on, if I rm /usr/share/man/cat[13]/* and re-run
delete-old, I stop getting errors for some files, but it still fails
to remove anything:

==========
# make delete-old
>>> Removing old files (only deletes safe to delete libs)
remove /usr/share/man/cat4/ipf.4.gz? remove /usr/share/man/cat5/ipf.5.gz? remove /usr/share/man/cat5/utmp.5.gz?  remove /usr/share/man/cat8/rlogind.8.gz? remove /usr/share/man/cat8/ipf.8.gz? remove /usr/share/man/cat8/bcmfw.8.gz?  remove /usr/share/man/cat8/chkprintcap.8.gz? *** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
==========

All filenames are printed at once as above, and then there's the brief
pause again before the error.

There are no issues removing libraries via the delete-old-libs target.

src.conf:
WITHOUT_ATM=true
WITHOUT_BLUETOOTH=true
WITHOUT_GPIB=true
WITHOUT_HTML=true
WITHOUT_I4B=true
WITHOUT_IPFILTER=true
WITHOUT_IPFW=true
WITHOUT_IPX=true
WITHOUT_LPR=true
WITHOUT_NCP=true
WITHOUT_NDIS=true
WITHOUT_OBJC=true
WITHOUT_PPP=true
WITHOUT_PROFILE=true
WITHOUT_QUOTAS=true
WITHOUT_RCMDS=true
WITHOUT_RCS=true
WITHOUT_SENDMAIL=true
WITHOUT_SLIP=true
WITHOUT_WIRELESS=true

No issues with delete-old and this src.conf under 8-STABLE.  This is a
new install and my first foray into 9-CURRENT, so I don't know how
long this problem has existed.  Install was from the 201001 snapshot
DVD image.

This is a VirtualBox 3.1.2 guest (FreeBSD 8-STABLE host), but that
shouldn't be related, should it?  (I don't have hardware available for
testing 9-CURRENT, in any case.)

Any ideas?  Other info I need to supply?

thanks,
Jeff