Re: utmp/utmpx conversion tool

From: Ed Schouten <ed_at_80386.nl>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 22:07:29 +0100
Hi Andrzej,

I'm sending this back to the lists, because I think it is an interesting
question.

* Andrzej Tobola <ato_at_iem.pw.edu.pl> wrote:
> If I need to preserve datbases - do You have any tool to convert
> /var/run/utmp, /var/log/lastlog and /var/log/wtmp to the new format ?

I see little use in converting utmp and lastlog to the new format. The
utmp file normally shouldn't survive a reboot, while the data provided
by lastlog is just `value added'.

I can imagine people do want to be able to convert their wtmp files.
This is why I just committed a tool called wtmpcvt(1) (also mentioned in
UPDATING now). This tool allows you to convert the log files to the new
format and view them using last(1) and ac(8).

There is no procedure to do this automatically. I also don't want to do
this, because if things go wrong, I don't want to be responsible for
corrupting everyone's log files.

--
 Ed Schouten <ed_at_80386.nl>
 WWW: http://80386.nl/