Re: [FreeBSD 8/9] USB webcamd and video4bsd: Call for testing

From: Henry Hu <henry.hu.sh_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 01:33:14 +0800
Hello,

On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 9:37 PM, Hans Petter Selasky <hselasky_at_c2i.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> During the last couple of days I've spent some time to finish my webcam
> daemon. My webcam daemon is basically an application which consists of
> userspace Video4Linux USB webcam drivers and some uLinux glue code which links
> with libc, pthreads and libusb. The webcamd talks to /dev/video_daemonX which
> is provided by the video4bsd kernel module. There is full support for
> mmap/read/write/open/close. poll is not supported.

I've tested on my webcam and it works here.
I have an USB Video Class webcam:

ugen2.2: <Vega USB 2.0 Camera. Vimicro Corp.> at usbus2, cfg=0 md=HOST
spd=HIGH (480Mbps) pwr=ON

This is the first time it works in FreeBSD! Thanks a lot!
Currently, it works with -s vga and -s cif. There are many other modes
supported by the webcam, but pwcview just does not support them. This
webcam supports at most 1280x1024, and the quality is clearly better
than 640x480.

There are some problems, however. First, when I start pwcview with an
unsupported mode, the content of the window is green, and I cannot
kill the process. Only after terminating webcamd can I terminate the
process.
Second, I cannot restart pwcview without restarting webcamd. At the
second time I start pwcview with -s vga, the window is green, and I
cannot kill it. The situation is similar to unsupported size.

I've also tried applications such as pidgin, skype and mplayer.
However no one successfully played from the webcam. I doubt it needs
some extra work.

I've changed pwcview a bit to keep the settings in internal variables
instead of fetching them every time. Else I cannot change most
parameters.  Maybe the webcam only supports a certain set of setting
values, and use the nearest value after setting them.

Thanks again for the great work! It never caused any kernel panic, and
the programs are fairly stable.