Re: [FreeBSD 8/9] USB webcamd and video4bsd: Call for testing

From: Christof Schulze <christof.schulze_at_gmx.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 01:55:28 +0100
Hello,

I am unsure whether I missed anything so here is what I did
csup to 8_RELENG
rebuild kernel & world
portmanager webcamd (which built video4bsd also)
kldload video4bsd
webcamd
webcamd -d ugen0.2 -i 0 -v 0

but I get
Cannot open /dev/video_daemonX. Did you kldload video4bsd?

this is the relevant part from dmesg:
video4bsd: /dev/video0..9, /dev/video_daemon0..9
ugen0.2: <vendor 0x046d> at usbus0 (disconnected)
uaudio0: at uhub0, port 2, addr 2 (disconnected)
pcm2: detached
ugen0.2: <vendor 0x046d> at usbus0
uaudio0: <vendor 0x046d product 0x08d7, class 0/0, rev 1.10/1.00, addr 2>
on usbus0
uaudio0: No playback!
uaudio0: Record: 16000 Hz, 1 ch, 16-bit S-LE PCM format
uaudio0: No midi sequencer
pcm2: <USB audio> on uaudio0

what am I missing? The device is supported on linux by the gspca driver.

Regards

Christof

Am Sonntag 10 Januar 2010 14:37:37 schrieb Hans Petter Selasky:
> Hi,
>
> During the last couple of days I've spent some time to finish my webcam
> daemon. My webcam daemon is basically an application which consists of
> userspace Video4Linux USB webcam drivers and some uLinux glue code which
>  links with libc, pthreads and libusb. The webcamd talks to
>  /dev/video_daemonX which is provided by the video4bsd kernel module.
There
>  is full support for mmap/read/write/open/close. poll is not supported.
>
> Basic operation and idea:
>
> /dev/video_daemonX is the interface for the webcamd. /dev/videoX is the
> interface for the V4L application. The video4bsd transports all data
>  between these two devices. In the case the V4L application is using
mmap,
>  no data is copied due to shared kernel memory buffer!
>
> Licensing issues:
>
> Effectivly the webcamd userland program becomes GPL'ed due to the V4L
USB
> drivers which are GPL licensed. Some files inside the webcamd remains
BSD